Breaking news:
Jammu and Kashmir Is an Integral Part of India, Says US Envoy Sergio Gor During Srinagar Visit | Sugar Prices Surge to Record Levels as Ethanol Demand Diverts Cane Supply | India Beat Pakistan in Amstelveen Thriller, Advance to Hockey World Cup Second Round
Logo

CBI Rules Out Gangrape in Kolkata Doctor's Death; Investigation Nearing Completion

The Central Bureau of Investigation has concluded that only Sanjay Roy was involved in the Kolkata doctor’s death, with charges expected soon as the probe nears its end 

06-09-2024
image
   

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has ruled out the possibility of gangrape in the recent death of a Kolkata doctor, as evidence indicates that Sanjay Roy, who has been arrested, was the sole perpetrator involved in the brutal rape and murder at RG Kar Hospital. 

The Kolkata High Court transferred the case to the CBI, overriding the decision of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who had criticized the delay in the investigation. Last week, Banerjee demanded an update on the case, expressing frustration over the perceived lack of progress. "I had asked for five days for the police to investigate before requesting federal agency intervention, but the case was handed over to the CBI," she said, emphasizing the need for timely justice.

State Minister Bratya Basu also called for a progress report from the CBI, highlighting the absence of updates since the case's transfer. He criticized the lack of regular updates compared to those provided during the initial police investigation.

The CBI has sent a medical report, including DNA evidence from the accused, to experts at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Delhi. The agency is awaiting the final medical opinion before concluding the investigation. Over 100 statements have been recorded, and ten polygraph tests have been conducted, including two involving former hospital chief Dr. Sandip Ghosh.

Dr. Ghosh, who was arrested earlier this week on charges related to financial irregularities during his tenure at RG Kar Hospital, has been suspended by both the Bengal government and the Indian Medical Association. He faces accusations of selling unclaimed bodies, trafficking biomedical waste, and misconduct involving tenders. The CBI also arrested three others, including a security guard.

The case has drawn significant national and international attention, sparking protests from medical professionals, gender activists, and political parties. Allegations of a cover-up and claims of gangrape have been strongly contested, with police denying attempts to influence the victim’s family.

The Supreme Court has taken suo moto cognizance of the crime, with a hearing scheduled before a bench led by Chief Justice DY Chandrachud. The CBI is expected to file a status report with the Calcutta High Court on September 17.

Image

SNP Leader Martyn Day Marries Kerala-Born Partner Nidhin Chand at Guruvayur T

Scottish politician Martyn Day and his Kerala-born partner Nidhin Chand have completed a traditional

Read More
Image

Delhi Adds 200 E-Buses, Revives Ladies Special Services on Key Routes

Delhi has expanded its public transport network with 200 new electric buses, including dedicated ser

Read More
Image

PM Modi Tops Social Media Performance Ranking as Government Pushes Youth Outr

One-line intro: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has emerged as the top performer in an internal social

Read More