Breaking news:
Jammu and Kashmir Is an Integral Part of India, Says US Envoy Sergio Gor During Srinagar Visit | Sugar Prices Surge to Record Levels as Ethanol Demand Diverts Cane Supply | India Beat Pakistan in Amstelveen Thriller, Advance to Hockey World Cup Second Round
Logo

Modi Defends Agnipath Scheme Amid Opposition Demands for Review

Prime Minister Narendra Modi robustly defended the Agnipath military recruitment scheme, countering opposition and NDA allies' calls for its review 

26-07-2024
image
   

Amid calls from both opposition parties and some NDA allies for a reassessment of the Agnipath scheme, Prime Minister Narendra Modi staunchly defended the military recruitment policy on Friday. He emphasized that the scheme aims to rejuvenate the armed forces and maintain their readiness for combat. Despite these assertions, the Congress party continues to demand the repeal of the scheme, which was introduced in 2022.

Speaking in Dras, Ladakh, during the 25th anniversary celebration of Kargil Vijay Diwas, PM Modi criticized the opposition for politicizing a sensitive issue related to national security.

"Some are spreading the false notion that this scheme was introduced to save on pension costs. Pension issues for today's recruits will only arise in 30 years. Why would we make such a decision now? This is about 'rashtraneeti' (national policy), not 'rajneeti' (politics)," Modi stated.

The Agnipath scheme recruits personnel for the Army, Navy, and Air Force on a four-year short-term contract. After this period, only 25% of the recruits can continue for an additional 15 years under a permanent commission.

An internal BJP report indicated that dissatisfaction with the Agnipath scheme contributed to the party's poor performance in the Uttar Pradesh Lok Sabha polls.

In a veiled criticism of the Congress, Modi claimed previous governments had neglected soldiers and lied about the One Rank One Pension scheme.

"Our government implemented One Rank One Pension, providing over Rs 1.25 lakh crore to ex-servicemen. Previous administrations did not build a war memorial or provide adequate bulletproof jackets for border soldiers," Modi asserted.

Congress Rebuts Modi's Claims

Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge demanded the scheme's repeal, calling Modi's claim that the scheme was implemented at the Army's behest a "blatant lie" and an "unforgivable insult" to the forces.

Kharge cited former Army Chief General MM Naravane, who purportedly described the scheme as a "bolt out of the blue" for the Navy and Air Force in his book, which Kharge claims the government has blocked from publication.

Retired military officers have also criticized the scheme, arguing that it jeopardizes national security and the aspirations of rural youth.

"Are we creating professional soldiers with just 6 months of training? Soldiers join the Army out of patriotism, not just for a livelihood," Kharge said.

"Agniveers receive no pension, gratuity, family pension, liberalized family pension, or education allowance for their children. Fifteen Agniveers have been martyred so far. Their sacrifice deserves respect," he added.

Congress MP Karti Chidambaram echoed these concerns, stating that the scheme does not enhance the armed forces' capacity and capability.

"The Agnipath scheme is a short-term induction without the necessary training and benefits. A professional army needs comprehensive training and full commissions," Chidambaram argued.

Image

SNP Leader Martyn Day Marries Kerala-Born Partner Nidhin Chand at Guruvayur T

Scottish politician Martyn Day and his Kerala-born partner Nidhin Chand have completed a traditional

Read More
Image

Delhi Adds 200 E-Buses, Revives Ladies Special Services on Key Routes

Delhi has expanded its public transport network with 200 new electric buses, including dedicated ser

Read More
Image

PM Modi Tops Social Media Performance Ranking as Government Pushes Youth Outr

One-line intro: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has emerged as the top performer in an internal social

Read More