A fresh political confrontation erupted in Delhi on Friday after Rahul Gandhi accompanied injured protester Sahil Lochab to the Parliament Street Police Station and sought registration of a criminal case over the alleged use of pellet guns during the July 20 student agitation.
During his protest outside the station, Gandhi held up a transparent plastic container containing metallic pellets that he said had been taken from Lochab's body during medical treatment.
Lochab, 19, reportedly suffered serious injuries during the protest and subsequently underwent surgery. Doctors allegedly removed multiple pellets, including several from around his eye. The injuries resulted in partial loss of vision, according to the account presented by Gandhi.
Protester seeks FIR over alleged firing
Lochab joined Gandhi at the police station to seek an FIR into the incident. Gandhi said the medical documentation provided evidence that pellets had been fired and questioned Delhi Police's repeated denial that its personnel had used pellet guns.
The Congress leader referred to medical findings that he said recorded more than 200 pellets or metallic fragments in Lochab's body, including three affecting his eye. He also claimed that some fragments were located close to the youngster's heart and could not safely be removed.
Gandhi argued that if the police did not fire the pellets, authorities should establish who was responsible for the injuries.
Gandhi stages protest after police response
Gandhi and Lochab arrived at the police station without prior public announcement and sought to have the complaint registered.
After the FIR was allegedly not registered, Gandhi sat outside the police station in protest and announced that he would remain there until action was taken.
Congress leaders Priyanka Gandhi Vadra and Jairam Ramesh subsequently joined him at the demonstration.
The incident marks a renewed escalation over allegations surrounding the police response to the July 20 protest, which had been called by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP).
Earlier reports pointed to pellet injuries
Allegations of pellet firing have been circulating since shortly after the protest.
Earlier reports had highlighted the case of another 25-year-old demonstrator who allegedly sustained multiple pellet wounds. Medical documents cited in those reports recorded injuries to his back and elbow.
A separate protester was also reported to have suffered a serious eye injury during the confrontation.
Gandhi had previously displayed Lochab's injuries during a media interaction, but Friday's demonstration was the first occasion on which the alleged pellets themselves were publicly shown.
Police and Centre deny pellet-gun allegations
Delhi Police and the Union government have rejected claims that security personnel used pellet guns to control the protesters.
Authorities have maintained that the police response was linked to violence and the situation that developed during the demonstration. Union Minister Kiren Rijiju had also rejected allegations of widespread excessive force during the agitation.
The competing accounts have now become a major political issue, with the Opposition demanding greater clarity over the police action and responsibility for the injuries.
Parliament protests had already raised the issue
The controversy had also spilled into Parliament during the Monsoon Session.
Opposition parties repeatedly sought an explanation from Union Home Minister Amit Shah regarding the circumstances surrounding the police action against demonstrators.
The Monsoon Session was eventually adjourned sine die on August 13 amid repeated disruptions.
The latest confrontation outside Parliament Street Police Station is therefore likely to keep the question of alleged pellet use, police accountability and the treatment of protesters at the centre of the political debate.