Breaking news:
Jammu and Kashmir Is an Integral Part of India, Says US Envoy Sergio Gor During Srinagar Visit | Sugar Prices Surge to Record Levels as Ethanol Demand Diverts Cane Supply | India Beat Pakistan in Amstelveen Thriller, Advance to Hockey World Cup Second Round
Logo

Vijay Mallya Tells Bombay High Court He Cannot Return to India Due to UK Travel Ban

Fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya has informed the Bombay High Court that court-imposed restrictions in the UK prevent him from travelling back to India to face proceedings 

19-02-2026
image
   

Fugitive liquor baron Vijay Mallya on Wednesday told the Bombay High Court that he is unable to specify when he can return to India, citing restrictions imposed by courts in the United Kingdom.

The submission was made through his lawyer, Amit Desai, before a bench led by Chief Justice Shree Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhad. The clarification came after the High Court had earlier asked Mallya to state whether he planned to come back to India to face trial while continuing his legal challenge against being declared a Fugitive Economic Offender and questioning the constitutional validity of the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act.

Mallya, who departed India in March 2016, faces allegations of defaulting on loans amounting to thousands of crores of rupees. In January 2019, a special court dealing with cases under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act designated him a fugitive economic offender, triggering extradition proceedings.

In his written response, Mallya stated that, under orders issued by UK courts, he is prohibited from leaving England and Wales or applying for, or holding, international travel documents. As a result, he said he cannot provide a definite timeline for his return to India.

His counsel further argued that Mallya’s physical presence in India is not required for the High Court to adjudicate his petitions challenging both the fugitive offender declaration and the provisions of the law under which it was made.

Opposing the plea, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, representing the Centre, contended that Mallya had approached the High Court under its extraordinary writ jurisdiction, which is discretionary and equitable in nature. He argued that an individual who does not comply with the law cannot seek such relief from the court.

After hearing both sides, the bench directed that Mallya’s informal statement be formally submitted as an affidavit and scheduled the matter for further hearing next month.

Image

₹16,000 crore Gurugram project: Big relief for Vikas Oberoi, promoter of Ob

Vikas Oberoi-led Oberoi Realty has secured a major regulatory reprieve for its ₹16,000-crore Three

Read More
Image

Pune’s Iconic Camp Burger King Sealed After FDA Finds Major Hygiene Lapses

Maharashtra FDA officials have shut the long-running East Street outlet and suspended its food licen

Read More
Image

Lalit Modi Denies Bigg Boss 20 Link, Calls Reports Fake News

Lalit Modi has rejected reports claiming he will enter Bigg Boss 20, saying he was never approached

Read More